Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Snap, Crackle, Pop-sibilities

It doesn't get much better than this! I absolutely love when one key ingredient can shine in multiple meals. Today's star: Rice Krispies. This classic cereal hands down makes the best marshmallow snacks - and they are so easy (there is no comparison between the homemade version and the pre-made treats), they are delish in a bowl for breakfast, and one of my favorite ways to use the cereal is as a binding ingredient in meatloaf (recipe to be posted in a future post). However, I'm most excited about the Orange-Walnut Scone recipe I just tried. This scone recipe uses Rice Krispies AND Bisquick (see my previous post) - two of my go-to staples when we travel. These were so good that my family gobbled them up before I was able to get a photo, so I will be sure to add one next time I make these.

2 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
2 cups biscuit baking mix
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup currants
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/3 cup fat-free milk (I use soy milk)
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sugar
Vegetable cooking spray

1. In large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal, baking mix and the 1/3 cup sugar, breaking up the lumps in the baking mix. Stir in walnuts and currants. Add egg, orange peel and milk, mixing until mixture forms a ball. Flatten dough into 7 1/2-inch circle. Using large knife, cut into 6 wedges. Place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. With fork, beat together egg white and water. Brush over tops of scones. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar.

2. Bake at 375° F about 13 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold. Store in airtight container.

Yield: 6 scones




(These get gobbled up quick too...kids and adults love this classic treat!)

Kari On and Keep Traveling

No comments:

Post a Comment